Guerilla Survival

Guerilla Survival

Saturday 27 March 2021

Woodland Base-Camp - 1

 




What I have done here is to build a small wooden structure at the back, about three feet behind the two trees from which I have hung the tarp. I cut four long pieces the last time I came to this area and today cut two more and made the wooden 'wall'. The tarp is a mylar-backed camo-tarp which fits across nicely and will be taken and put up each time I go over to do more work on this shelter. The intention is to create a semi-permanent shelter to which the tarp roof can be added, making it complete in itself. The side-walls will be made of 1" to 2" diameter logs pushed into the ground and lashed to a pole between the trees and the wooden 'wall'. 




Before starting the shelter I made a cup of coffee by hanging a pot over the open camp-fire, using a stick placed over a Y-shaped stick knocked into the ground, the back of the hanger-stick being held by a tent-peg. This worked very well and saved having a stove with me this time. 




The pot can be adjusted either up or down by taking out the log and moving the end down, or putting in a larger log. This was a temporary thing, and the best method here seems to be to cut a length of pole and then cut notches into it in which the hanger-pole would be able to be moved upwards or downwards as necessary. 



Being a bit late going today I did not have time to do much more, but cut some wood ready for the next time I go over to do more work on the shelter. The tarp is not ideal but will do for now until the whole thing is completed and then I may use a larger tarp that fits right over the back 'wall' (which I may also extend upwards by another log or two), over a tarp-line and perhaps even having a small 'porch' overhanging the front. There is so much dead wood in this area, and it is not used by many people, that it would be ideal for long-term use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment